Sunday, June 19, 2011

Katie Jo Johnson & Carlos Ballinas


When: Saturday, June18th, 2011
Where: Under a tent, Battle Lake, MN
1st Dance Song
: "As Time Goes By" by Buena Vista Social Club

"Hi Robert!  I'm so sorry it took so long to get back to you.  I think things were more crazy after the wedding than before:)  Again thank you for everything you did for our wedding reception!  I don't think it could have gone any better than it did.  If you need any recommendations just let us know!"

Katie and Carlos were actually married January in Mexico, and again yesterday, in Minneapolis.  Today is a reception only at her parents' lake house.

I stole a baby (OK, babysat) during dinner when I sent her mom and family up to the buffet.  Her name is Laney, she is 4 months old and she giggles when you hold her up so she flies like Superman.

Since Carlos and his family are from Mexico, we used a translator during the prayer, and during some of the event explanations.  Their first dance song is in Spanish (somehow I can't find the Spanish title, though).

Turns out, at weddings in Mexico there is a tradition of carrying the groom in and tossing him in the air, all set to the Funeral March.  Fantastic.  We followed that with "A La Vibora De La Mar," which is, as best as I can describe it, a cross of a conga line, circle dance, and limbo.  No footage for that one because, no one told me about the song in advance, so I bought it, downloaded and was playing it from my smart phone, which I had been using to catch some of these moments.  Maybe I'll be able to get some footage from the videographer.

One other very random request:  "Achy Breaky Heart" by Billy Ray Cyrus.  Apparently they line dance to a Spanish version in Mexico.  That's a first time playing it for me.  I also got to play a bunch of salsa music.

No comments: